Residential facilities with a multi-support team of professionals and a network of pairs to help youngsters break the cycle of homelessness so that they can successfully move on with their future and never return to a state where they are at risk of homelessness. They provide ‘family mediation’ counselling for young people and their families to try and
resolve conflicts that often cause homelessness; they educate young people about the realities of homelessness and its impact and the provide young people ‘presenting’ as homeless with personalised advice that looks at all of their options. Their principles include: Young people first; Everybody counts; Working and learning with others; Strength and unity through diversity; Accountability; Delivery and effectiveness; Forward thinking.
National Express Foundation Equality Awards (2016)
Birmingham Pride Prize (2016)
The Housing Corporation Gold Award for Tackling Homelessness (2006)
During April 2015 - March 2016:
- 5135 young people were provided with advice and support services.
- 1271 vulnerable young people (and in some cases their young children too) were housed by them.
- 64% of their NEET (not in education, employment or training) young people re-engaged with employment, education and training.
- 177 young people and their families were supported by the family mediation service which aims to prevent youth homelessness.
- 99% of these interventions achieved a positive outcome.
- 88% of young people established or maintained independent living.
St Basil's operates a range of prevention, accommodation and support services to help young people regain the stability they need to rebuild their lives, gain skills, training and employment and move on. They work with young people and local and national partners.
- Homeless prevention services include: Raising awareness with school-age students, Advice services, Parenting Young People workshops and Family Mediation.
- Accommodation and Support services include: Emergency accommodation (inc. Nightstop schemes), Supported Accommodation and Supported Lodgings.
- Engagement and Skills services include: Youth Engagement (offering both internal/ local and national opportunities), Learning, Skills and Work services (including Life Skills), the Live and Work initiative in partnership with local NHS Trusts.